Monday, November 14, 2011

Sunday Morning Pancakes

A few years ago my hubby decided to start a Sunday morning tradition of making pancakes. My thought at the time was, "Really? Like, every Sunday?" I was still begging for every possible moment of sleep I could get and this sounded like more work than a bowl of Cheerios (recall: Cheerios don't have BHT).

So it began. But, come to figure out it's not so bad! You can make a big batch and freeze them for the week and when the boys want pancakes during the week: 2 minutes later, they are on the plate! Bottom line: homemade pancakes (not from a box) any day of the week. Note: to my knowledge I've never had pancakes from a box, but I'm guessing these are way better!

Buttermilk Pancakes (I normally triple the recipe)
1 C flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
dash of salt (roughly 1/4 teaspoon)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 C buttermilk (you can mix 1 Tbsp lemon juice with 1 C milk & let sit 5 min if you don't have buttermilk). Sometimes I add a little more buttermilk to get the right consistency.

Put the griddle on the stove over low heat (so it's nice & warm when you're ready). Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients & mix. Add a little oil to the griddle & put batter on. Flip when middle starts to bubble.

Variation: Banana-pecan: Mash a very ripe banana & add with wet ingredients (do a 1/2 banana if you're only doing one batch) and add chopped pecans at the end. I also throw in chocolate chips at the end (often I just toss a few to each of their pancakes after they are on the griddle) for the boys. They love them!

When you freeze: put a small piece of wax paper between each of them & place in a big Ziploc.

3 comments:

  1. Adding cinnamon is delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use 100% whole wheat pastry flour and wheat germ in mine. I also add wheat germ, and a little alond extract. I get the whole wheat pastry flour from the health market at Hy-Vee. It's Bob's Red Mill brand. It is the best baking ingredient EVER!!! I use it in chocolate chip cookies, waffles, banana bread, muffins, etc :) Aundria P.S. I love your BHT comment btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the double wheat germ comment :)

    ReplyDelete