Let's start with my habits before the cleanse. I try to cook food from scratch. I can count the number of times I eat out each month on one hand. I don't have any major (or minor, really) health problems. I'm not trying to brag. I do plenty that I shouldn't. My point is that I don't feel like I saw dramatic results, but I didn't really have dramatic potential. Here's what I did see:
- I lost 5 pounds (I lost another 2 the couple weeks before the cleanse when I gave up dairy so I'm going with 7 altogether).
- My muffin top is not gone, but it is definitely smaller. Perhaps closer to a mini-muffin than the jumbo it resembled previously.
- I don't know how to best articulate this, but when I breathe it feels "clean," like there's nothing obstructing my passageways.
- One of my little blemishes started flaking away. It's still there, but barely. I have another spot on my nose that has been flaking for at least 6 months and I was planning to have the dermatologist look at it. The spot is still there, but the flaking was gone until this morning when it reappeared.
- My varicose veins, located in an unmentionable area are not gone, but I haven't had any flare-ups (which previously happened when I ran).
Since the cleanse and moving forward, here are some of the steps I am taking:
- I'm having a shake every morning for breakfast (liquid meals speed up your digestion process and allow the body more time to focus on healing or staying in balance).
- Wednesday night is liquid dinner night.
- Monday night is fish night (we were not eating enough fish previously).
- I'm trying to ensure I eat some sort of green leafy vegetable everyday.
- No dairy.
- Not much gluten.
- Organic when possible, trying to avoid the "dirty dozen" unless they are organic.
- Avoiding the 2 top genetically modified foods (soy and corn) unless they are organic (non-GMO).
- No eating after dinner, which is normally finished by 6 (8PM has been a long-standing rule for me).