Monday, June 6, 2011

Off to Kindergarten. What to do about shots?

My oldest will be in Kindergarten this fall. It's such an exciting time! To me, it's the beginning of growing up. Though he'll always be my baby, he's a full-fledged kid! And he's moving from us being the primary teachers in his life to learning lots from others: teachers, coaches & other kids. He's been in preschool, but this just seems so different. He's ready & I'm excited for him. A little more independence for him. A little letting go for me. Hopefully I'll be ready too!

Enter Kindergarten.  Enter a new round of shots. A number of my friends also have kids this age & a few have asked my thoughts. Here they are: you really have to research it yourself & determine what you are most comfortable with. It's an individual decision. Both sides have consequences & you have to live with them. It's no-win. If you don't vaccinate, your kid is at risk for some potentially horrible diseases or illnesses. If you do vaccinate, you're injecting known carcinogens and other harmful ingredients directly into their little systems, many of which we don't know the long-term consequences. This is why we need change. We shouldn't have to make these decisions. Why can't they produce vaccines using preservatives that are known to be safe? Do you realize that vaccine manufacturers can't be sued? If your child has a reaction, you file for compensation through the government. Manufacturers are making billions & paying lobbyists to help get laws passed so that kids have to have vaccines before they can enter school & they have no accountability.

I really didn't mean to get on a tangent here. I just feel so strongly about it. I don't get why something that was originally intended to protect us may actually be harming us. Believe me, I want nothing more than to inject my kids with something that would protect them from some awful diseases. And I regress again....

You really do have to research it & decide for yourself. The website I have come to trust the most is www.nvic.org. There are others, but this is the most balanced one I've found. If you click here you can scroll down to look up the individual vaccines and the associated diseases so you know some of the known risks. Click here to see a list of the ingredients included in vaccines by manufacturer.

I did read the book, "Saying No to Vaccines" by Dr. Sherry Tenpenny.  It was informative, scary and one-sided in my opinion, but she did make a number of very good points, including the amount of a vaccine absorbed in a system is different for different persons. You may not need a booster. It's also interesting to me that the amount of medicine you give to an infant is determined by weight, but vaccines are not. You can get a titer test to determine how much resistance you have to a particular disease & whether or not an additional vaccine or booster is needed.

Bottom line: research it. Talk to your pediatrician. Pray. And ultimately do what you are most comfortable with. If you want to give your child all the recommended vaccines-do it, but also understand that you don't have to do it per the recommended schedule. You can have them administered at different times. If you have a doctor that is bullying you into something you aren't comfortable with, get a new doctor. I have done everything mentioned in this paragraph. The most valuable was the prayer. God has been the one to guide us along the way & I'm convinced our first child (who was more susceptible to "issues") would be facing a different life outlook had we not done things the way we did.

Please understand that I am just a mom trying to do what's right for my children. If I can help others along the way, that's my hope. I am not a doctor or a scientist. My background is business & marketing. Anything on this site is purely an opinion on my part or something I deem true via other sources typically referenced.

1 comment:

  1. I saw an article in this weekend's paper about sunscreens. It was mostly comparing cost, but there were a few "gems" like this:

    "And now for the bad news, although the benefits of using sunscreen have been almost universally touted as a good thing by much research and scores of dermatologists, there could be a downside. 'Almost every tested sunscreen contains some ingredients associated with adverse health effects in animal studies,' Consumer Reports states. 'Oxybenzone and other endocrine disruptors may interfere with hormones in the body.' Other dubious ingredients include nanoscale zinc and titanium oxides (the innovations that make those chalky ingredients clear when applied) and retinyl palmitate (it's an antioxidant and a form of vitamin A that can become carcinogenic when exposed to the sun and has been linked to birth defects).

    Here's the link: http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/fashion-and-style/debra-bass/article_a50c20b8-914e-5f76-bf0b-22f32fa68eb2.html

    ReplyDelete