Monday, May 16, 2011

Plastic-Free

On the BPA-free plastics: do you know that the new plastics touted as "safe" because they are BPA-free haven't been tested for toxicity? I am guessing that in a few years we will know if they are actually better, worse or the same as BPA.

I ran across the Safer Chemicals Healthier Families blog on how to reduce BPA by 60% in 3 days. I guess I'm behind. I thought BPA was only found in plastics. However, they list the top 10 canned foods to avoid to reduce the amount in your home (and your body). What? Indeed, it is used to line the cans. Uhhh! In the small amount of research I just did, it appears there  isn't a BPA-free can alternative (yet) so perhaps that's why it isn't talked about much. The alternative is to wean ourselves off canned food. There is a limit to how much you can eliminate (or worry about). Fortunately we don't eat a ton of canned food.

So weaning myself (and hopefully my family eventually) off plastics.... I just bought these super-cute glass bottles. Amazon currently has the 16 & 9 oz sizes in their latest 4 for 3 promotion. I got suckered-in & bought 4! Super-cute & glass so no risk of BPA (or other chemicals produced by plastics), no nasty metallic taste & they go in the dishwasher. So I'm feeling pretty proud of myself--since I grab a water almost every time I run out the door I'm certain I'm going to save myself from the bulk of chemicals I'm putting in my body on a daily basis. Also, I feel like I'm drinking out of a mason jar with them. I LOVE drinking out of a mason jar! My first experience brings me back to wonderful memories hanging out at great granny Duck's house in the hills of Tennessee (no, it wasn't moonshine). I also have a good friend who serves cocktails out of mason jars and it's always a good time. There's just something so fun about it. So, if you don't want to spend the money on these cute bottles, just get mason jars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment